Thank you for your interest in Beaumont Fire-Rescue Services. The fire service is an honorable profession that requires integrity, selflessness, sacrifice, courage, discipline, and commitment to the greater good. The City of Beaumont’s Fire Department is grounded in the honorable traditions of the fire service, while being committed to continuous improvement and progress. Our goal is to recruit and hire qualified applicants who reflect the diversity of our community and who model servant leadership. Please review the information below to learn more about our minimum standards, hiring process, and exceptional salary and benefit package.
- Starting salary: $4,496 per month, paid biweekly; $5,073 after one year of service
- Automatic step increases: for Grade I Firefighter/EMT at 3, 5, 7, 10, 15 and 20 yearss
- Longevity: $4 per month for each full year of service, up to $100 per month
- Assignment: $100 per month for staff officer shift assignments
- Vacation: 15 days of vacation per year for one to 14 years of service; additional vacation days after 15 years of service, up to six additional days
- Holidays: 11 holidays per year; paid time-and-a-half when actually working on a holiday
- Personal Leave: one per year after 10 years of service and two per year after 20 years of service
- Sick Leave: one-and-a-quarter days per month, 15 days per year max
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection[list type="bullet3"]
- Intermediate firefighter, $60 per month
- Advanced firefighter, $100 per month
- Master firefighter, $150 per month
- Texas Department of State Health Services, combined with Beaumont EMS credentialing
- EMT-intermediate or EMT-paramedic, $50 per month
- Special Operations Response Teams
- Hazardous Materials Response Team, $50 per month
- Water Response & Recovery Team, $50 per month
- Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus Team, $50 per month
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection[list type="bullet3"]
Personal Protective Equipment & Uniforms
- PPE: Bunker coat and pants, suspenders, hood, helmet, boots, gloves, and gear bag furnished
- Uniforms: Annual uniform allotment provided
- Uniform Maintenance: $35 per month
- Additional approved PPE and uniform items available through the department’s company store
Promotional & Job Enrichment Opportunities
- Eligible for promotional testing after two years
- Promotion lists are developed by competitive civil service testing
- Uniformed positions at various ranks available in Operations, Logistics, and Planning sections
- Texas Local Firefighter Relief and Retirement Actdefined benefit pension plan
- Vested with 20 years of service; may draw regular service retirement benefit at age 50; early retirement and DROP options available
- Employee contribution is 15 percent of salary, city contribution is 15 percent (no participation in Social Security retirement)
- Optional 457 defined contribution plan and Roth IRAs also available through ICMA
To sit for the written entrance examination, applicants must:
- Be certified or certifiable as a firefighter as prescribed by the Texas Commission on Fire Protection standards
- Be certified or certifiable as an EMT-basic as prescribed by the Texas Department of State Health Services
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Possess a high school diploma or equivalent
- Be able to read and write English
- Be at least 18 years old
To be eligible for hire, applicants must:
- Be certified as a firefighter as prescribed by Texas Commission on Fire Protection standards
- Be certified as an EMT-basic as prescribed by the Texas Department of State Health Services rules
- Have submitted a completed Applicant Screening Packet
- Have successfully passed the following:
- Written entrance examination
- Background investigation
- Job-related physical abilities test
- Oral board interview
- Polygraph examination
- Interview with the fire chief
- Fitness-for-duty medical examination, including drug screening
- Not be past his/her 36th birthday by the date of hire
- Be able to obtain a Class B driver’s license within three months of hire
Certification & Training Organizations
City of Beaumont Posting of Job Opportunities
- All positions are posted by the city HR department.
- Applications are only excepted when job openings are available.
- Postings for probationary firefighter/EMT positions normally occur in June or July.
- Apply online or in person here.
Applicant Screening Packet
- Applicants who pass the written exam will be issued an ASP.
- Complete the packet fully and accurately.
- Submit your completed ASP to City of Beaumont Human Resources before the stated deadline.
- Remember to include copies of all required supporting documentation.
Job-related Physical Abilities Test (CPAT)
- Applicants who submit a complete and timely ASP are invited to attempt a job-related physical abilities test.
- BFR uses the IAFF-IAFC Fire Service Joint Labor-Management Candidate Physical Abilities Test
- Applicants have three attempts to pass the CPAT.
- Do you need a CPAT completion certificate? The CPAT is now available through the Lamar Institute of Technology (LIT). Click here for more information.
[button color="#ffffff" background="#a00606" size="medium" src="https://fire.beaumonttexas.gov/wp-content/uploads/pdf/AppendixB-CPAT_Candidate_Prep_Guide.pdf"]CPAT Preparation Guide[/button] [button color="#ffffff" background="#a00606" size="medium" src="http://fire.beaumonttexas.gov/wp-content/uploads/pdf/AppendixA-CPAT_Orientation_Guide.pdf"]CPAT Orientation & Practice Session Guide[/button]
Oral Board Interview
- Applicants who successfully pass the CPAT are invited to an oral board interview.
- The interview panel is made up of five BFR members from various ranks.
- Standard question sets are used for all applicants and rated using a standard scale.
- The interview is designed to assess general job knowledge, judgement, and targeted character attributes.
Additional Hiring Credits
Interview with the Fire Chief
Medical Fitness-for-Duty Exam
- Medical physical exams follow National Fire Protection Association standards (NFPA 1582)
- Applicants who pass the medical fitness-for-duty exam and drug screening are eligible for hire.
- Having a conviction for, of being currently under indictment or charged with a felony offense
- Having a conviction for any Class A or B misdemeanor offense within the 36 months preceding the application
- Currently being on probation for any offense greater than a Class C misdemeanor
Drug/Controlled Substance Use
- Having an extensive record of drug/controlled substance use
- Having illegally furnished any controlled substance or dangerous drug to another
- Having an excessive record of traffic convictions or negligent traffic collisions
Indicators of Possible Character Deficiencies
- Making any deliberate false statement of fact, being deceptive by statement or omission in the employment application or Applicant Screening Packet, background investigation information or by any means in the hiring process
- Having been discharged from military service with other than an honorable discharge
- Having a history of failing to maintain financial responsibility (i.e. bankruptcy, debt delinquency, foreclosure, etc.) without reasonable extenuating circumstances
- Being a member of any organization that advocates or supports overthrow of government or other agency by force or violence
- Being a member of any organization that advocates illegal discrimination
- Having been terminated from Beaumont Fire-Rescue Services
- Having resigned from Beaumont Fire-Rescue Services for disciplinary reasons, resigning to avoid suspension or discharge, or having resigned during a professional standards investigation without final judgement being rendered
- Failing to cooperate with and keep all scheduled appointments with City of Beaumont or Beaumont Fire-Rescue Services staff involved in the hiring process
- Failing to submit information, updates, or changes by the required deadline date
- Refusal to submit to a polygraph exam
- Without being specifically enumerated in the above disqualifications, if circumstances exist that indicate the applicant is clearly unsuited for a career with Beaumont Fire-Rescue Services, the application will be rejected.